Thursday, January 5, 2012

Quinoa is a nice healthier alternative to rice. Some people aren't likin' it (said in my best Sinjia voice) It's really pretty easy to make. First I shall share the basic way to cook it and then I'll let you know the way I do it for our stir-fry :)


Basic Quinoa Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups cold water
Optional: 1/4 tsp salt
This part is optional: Soak the quinoa for 5 min in the cooking pot. Soaking helps quinoa to cook evenly, and loosens up any residue of saponin (usually removed in processing), which can give a bitter taste. Most quinoa sold nowadays has been cleaned, and steamed to remove the saponin, so don't worry about that overly much. To Rinse: Stir the quinoa with your hand, and carefully pour off the rinsing water, using a fine mesh strainer at the last.
Drain quinoa well in the strainer, transfer to the cooking pot, add 1 1/2 cups water & 1/2 tsp salt if desired. Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on
Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and serve (like you do with stovetop stuffing lol)
**for our stir-fry i used garlic salt! :) instead of regular salt. I also add one beef bullion cube to the water. ** oh adventurous, i know :)

1 comment:

  1. I like to mix quinoa in with my white rice. Then I through it in my taco meat- yummy!

    ReplyDelete