Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

With the weather getting icky, it's time to bust out the 'ole pot and get to soup making. I don't know about you guys, but our weather here on Sunday was cranky! It was super windy and rainy. It definitely was a soup and bread day :) I had invited my parents over the day before and they were more than happy when they got to have some hot soup and warm bread! I made quite a few things Sunday. First-homemade chicken noodle soup! It's so easy you'll be surprised!
What you need:
1 whole chicken, cut up or you can do 4 chicken breasts
all depends on what's cheapest and if you like pulling cooked meat off of bones
chicken bullion ( i use the cheap stuff you find in the "ethnic" part of the store its just pollo stuff :) I use roughly 4-5 cubes
chopped onion
chopped carrots
chopped celery
egg noodles*
water
salt and pepper and what ever other seasonings you dig.
What to do:
Boil the chicken! :) I rinse the chicken off and remove as much of the skin and fat as I can. If you're using boneless skinless breasts-then no worries. I'm a huge fan of kosher salt (Thank you Alton Brown!) So, I put a few good pinches of salt in the water. Also add some pepper to taste :) Mine's usually about a dime size amount. I boil my chicken for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool while I add the bullion to the pot. I let the pot simmer for a little bit while the chicken cools. Then i pull the chicken from the bone and tear it into smaller pieces and add it to the simmering bullion. I let the chicken simmer for about 30 minutes while I chopped up the vegetables. You're probably wondering why I didn't put like how many carrots and what not. It's all your personal taste. I like lots of chicken and don't want it to be over powered by veggies. So, I chopped roughly 5-6 carrots and 4 stalks of celery. I chopped, well no, dice a medium sized onion. Add everything to the pot. Simmer for about one hour or until the veggies are tender, NOT mush. Add the egg noodles. Now, you can use homemade and I'll include a recipe for that in a later post. I felt lazy and used just some wide egg noodles courtesy of our local market. Cook the noodles until al dente. You are ready to go! This soup goes GREAT with home made rolls, which I did :) or bread bowls! It warms you from the inside out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment