Thursday, April 15, 2010

Strawberry Bread

Strawberries are on selling like crazy here! I went to our local Winegars and got 4 lbs for $5. Needlessly to say I bought a few pounds :) I made some jam and then sat down to think of other things I could make with fresh strawberries. Stevey and I like to eat them as is. Josh-he can leave 'em! :) So I googled strawberries. I found a few different ideas. One was bread. I found 2 recipes and they just didn't seem to have enough UMPH. So, I played with some ingredients and came up with something super tasty :) It's really easy. I thought about it after I was done, but you can add nuts if you're a fan of 'em. I think pecans or walnuts would be tasty!
What you're gonna need:
2 cups fresh strawberries (roughly)
3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar plus 2 TB
1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. Slice strawberries, and place in medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle lightly with 2 tablespoons sugar and set aside while preparing bread mixture.


Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl: mix well. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in pecans. Divide batter into pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tester (toothpick or butter knife) inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out, and cool completely

3 comments:

  1. We LOVE strawberry bread in our house. I normally make it once a month during peak strawberry season. Yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha-do you do anything different? I just did this recipe yesterday, and if it can be improved.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is really similar.

    3 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tlb cinnamon
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 cup oil
    1 pkg fresh strawberries chopped (or 20 oz frozen)

    350 degrees for 1 hour

    So maybe not improved, just less oil and eggs. Either way it would be super yummy!

    ReplyDelete