Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Turkey Soup

Got leftovers? Tired of Turkey? Wanna get rid of the carcass? Well here you are! Turkey SOUP! And it FREEZES great :)

Whatcha need:
1 turkey carcass with extra meat on it :)
lots of water
chicken bullion cubes
2 bay leaves
5-6 diced carrots
4-5 diced celery
1 med onion, diced SMALL
egg noodles
Whatcha do:
Take your turkey carcass (man i hate that word) and place it in a pot. You're going to cover this poor bird with water. You wanna make sure you have at least an inch of water OVER the turkey. Add your chicken bullion. I add roughly 6-8 cubes. If you're using the powdered kind, add enough to make like 8 cups of bullion. Put in your bay leaves. Now walk away and let it boil for a few hours. I always give mine at least 2 to make sure it gets all the good junk outta the bones :) Now, remove the bones. This is the tricky part. I cheat. I strain my broth into a separate bowl and then I can pick through the meat and stuff to make sure I get it all. After you've done that, bring the broth back to a boil and add the onions, celery, and carrots. When they're close to be being done, add your egg noodles. If you wanna be super woman, I am going to include an egg noodle recipe as soon as I get it again from my father in law :) This is where I got the bulk of this recipe. I just tweaked it a little :) If you wanna just freeze the broth, which is what I do, skip adding the noodles. Just let it cool and put in freezer bags OR if you're super cool like Mrs. B, you use your "food sucker" commonly known as a seal-a-meal LOL Seriously kids, if you can, invest in one! Saves my meat from freezer burn and is great for people who still cook like they're cooking for 12 when it's really only 3 :)
**if you have cats or dogs, PLEASE do NOT give them the turkey bones! Turkey and Chicken bones splinter badly and can get caught in their throat. That's no bueno at all!!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment