Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Mormon" Taters

So, my step mom grew up LDS. She's been inactive since she was, gosh, 16. The other day a while back we were chatting about food and stuff we grew up with. She made the comment about missing those mormon funeral cheesy potatoes things. She asked me if I knew how to make them. I was like heck yes!!! She light up like a Christmas tree and politely requested I make them. So!! She's now addicted!!! And I love it :) :) Our son Stevey is more than addicted. These things are full of calories, so he's allowed to eat them as much as he wants :) There's tons of different versions out there. I thought I would share mine :)
Whatcha need:
1 2lb bag of frozen hashbrowns*
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
2 cups of sour cream
2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (medium or sharp cheddar is A-mazing)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 small onion diced (or 1/2 cup dehydrated onion)*
**optional**
2 TB melted butter
2 cups crushed corn flakes or wheaties
Whatcha do:
Preheat your oven to 350. Spray a 9*13 pan with cooking spray. Mix soup, sour cream, 1/2 c melted butter, onion and cheese. Fold in the hashbrowns, gently. If you wanna add the corn flakes, mix the corn flakes and butter and sprinkle on top. Bake for 30-40 mins.
*if you don't have frozen hashbrowns, you can use "fresh" taters. Just peel and boil and then shred them in your food processor. The cooking time will vary.
*I LOVE using green onions, but don't always them available. If you have them, then by all means, USE THEM :) 1/2-3/4 cup chopped green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment